I heard this question tonight on a podcast and I had to turn it off for a moment because my brain was exploding. Ready for it? What kind of person do you need to be to get the kind of results you want?
Work backwards from who you want to be
I have to say, this question made me look at my life from a completely different perspective. It forced me to consider what I want out of life and then work backward to consider who I need to be to make that a reality. Because most often we’re so focused on being the type of person we think we “should” be, for some undetermined, potentially unwanted result.
Personally, I want to be fit and healthy, deeply engaged in my work, connected to the people around me and always, truly myself. I’d also love to be financially independent which would give me a strong sense of security (I suffer from bag lady syndrome).
So what type of person achieves those results?
Well, it’s probably someone who:
- Workouts often & progressively while eating well.
- Chooses work projects purposefully.
- Goes out of their way to stay connected to their friends and family and making a point of prioritizing time spent with loved ones.
- Maintains a mindful practice with the intention to stay connected to self.
- Has an investment portfolio that literally says – “I’ve got your back”.
Suddenly I have no reason to wallow in “what am I doing with my life” drama (something I’m a pro at, even in my 40’s). By reverse engineering the person I want to be, I can focus on developing behaviors that will make results happen.
How to become the person you need to be to get what you want
Three tools that have helped me become the person I need to be to achieve what I want are: